Christian Themes in Historical Fiction with Jesseca Wheaton

Most of us, including myself, are Christian authors, and we try to shine our faith through our writing. Today, I have Jesseca Wheaton here with us to talk about how to handle Christian themes in Historical Fiction.

Jesseca is the author of multiple novels, largely set in the second world war. I've heard nothing but good about her Questions of War series, and her Beyond the Horizon's Edge is a sweet and unexpected retelling of Cinderella.

Jesseca Wheaton
Christain/Historical Fiction/Romance/Retellings


Christian themes in historical fiction. I’m not sure I’ve ever read a blog post on this subject, so we’ll see how this goes. Hopefully it’s helpful, and can give you a tip or two about how to write Christian historical fiction authentically.


  1. Make sure the theme fits with the time period. No, I don’t really wanna hear about women who used scripture to fight for equal rights with men in the 15th century. And trying to convince me that Robin Hood is the medieval equivalent of a New testament saint isn’t going to make me wanna read very far into the book. Keep the themes within the time period. If you’re a christian and you want to write about feminism, don’t try and translate it across a historical canvas it was never painted on.
  2. Don’t force your characters to have all the answers. This is something that personally bugs me in so many of the books I read. No matter what they encounter, our characters seem to have it all figured out. History was every bit as messy as the world we live in today.
  3. Write what you’ve experienced. I’m not going to get into the whole write/don’t write what you don’t know debate. I’ve seen exceptions to both. But I do know that so often when you write about what you've experienced in your walk with Christ, there is an element of realness to the subject that isn’t normally there when you write about something you’ve never gone through. You can describe and translate the feeling to the page so much better when you know what it’s like to be in such a situation.
  4. Subtle but yet somehow obvious is always best. We all know those books are seem to have characters talking for pages about Christianity as if that’s the only way the author could think to get it in the book. Actions speak so much louder than words. Yes, I love dialogue about spiritual things. But unless you’re writing a work of fiction about Martin Luther and the reformation, your readers aren’t looking for pages of Biblical facts. Yes, make sure the message is there and obvious. But don’t do it in such a way that makes people cringe reading it.
  5. Be real. Be honest. Be vulnerable. Speak the truth in love.

Comments

  1. Great advice, Jessica! I love your point about making sure it fits with the time period. And I 100% agree with making it subtle— that's important in any genre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff.
    I have a priest character in a short story who breaks down after the senseless death of a child. He asks the ancient question of why bad things happen to innocent people. Now, I feel like I have permission to leave him stewing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Find this post helpful? Leave a comment and let me know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing: The Arista Challenge

Accurate Dialogue with Kelsey Bryant

Handling the Physical with Tammy Lash