The Arranged Marriage with Rachel Rossano

First comes marriage, then comes love...

Wait, that's not how that poem is supposed to go? Well, not in a book about an arranged marriage! I'm fascinated by this plot device, as it focuses on the relationship over the emotions, and also there's rarely any mamby-pambying about over "do I love him?" They both know they're stuck together. And as someone who's come through life having to deal with a lot of "stuck with it" situations ... it just feels more realistic to me. I've written a couple arranged marriages now, of several sorts, but I have Rachel Rossano here today to talk about it, as she's the author of some of my favorite arranged marriages that I've ever read.

Word and Deed, I would say, would be my favorite of hers that I've read, as it's short and sweet, and I'm very much looking forward to Seventh Born, which is a step into the fantasy genre, and I'm so stoked for it.

Anywho, let's let her speak, shall we?

Rachel Rossano
Christian/Fantasy/Kingdom Fiction/Sci-Fi/Romance
Author of Honor


Love is a decision. Yes, it is usually wrapped up in warm, fuzzy feelings of attachment, connection, and attraction, but in its most basic form it is a repeated decision made daily, hourly, and sometimes even minute by minute. My parents taught me this truth as I was growing up. I have since learned and applied the truth of it in my marriage and with my children.
There is a whole romance sub-genre completely preoccupied with the ins and outs of this truth. Can two people meet, commit to each other, and then learn to love? The arranged marriage romance novels answer with a resounding yes. Even history agrees. Multiple cultures and societies have used arranged marriages with varying success.
The main appeal of reading and writing an arranged marriage plot for me is the decision-making process. Why did they say yes (if they had a choice)? How did their mind change? The slow growth of affection and a relationship between the hero and heroine amidst a storm of outside influences is fascinating to me.

What are the best elements to have for a good arranged marriage plot?
An outside force needs to bring the hero and heroine together. Whether it is a situation (one or both people need something that the other can provide) or a person (parents, siblings, boss, or a matchmaker), someone has to be putting pressure on the hero and heroine to form a matrimonial arrangement.
An honorable hero and heroine are a must. Anything less will lead to disaster. Either one of them might not appear honorable or have a bad reputation, but beneath the façade they need to be of good character. Also, they both should value marriage and the commitment that it involves. Either one might be awkward at relationships or not realize what they’re getting into, but when the rough times come they both should take it all seriously.
A realistic coupling will make the story work. If the pairing is too extreme, where the couple cannot find any common ground, then it will be unrealistic for them to eventually have a happily ever after. Despite the almost cliché fiery beginnings and the opposites attract trope, it is important that the couple does eventually discover things they can agree on wholeheartedly for a relationship to work.

What to avoid
Sparks flying in the beginning make sense if the two personalities clash or they disagree about something immediately. However, having the heroine be prejudiced against the hero from the beginning because of his appearance or angry with him because of something that is completely out of his control only makes her look petty, and vice versa.
Also, overblown conflicts that can be resolved with a single conversation are very hard for most readers to swallow. Contrived arguments that obviously could be resolved just by the evidence in front of the characters drives readers nuts. Too much conflict over the decision to marry can actually become an obstacle. Regret over the decision is natural, but revisiting it over and over gets old fast.
Characters’ pasts are part of their makeup. If developed with enough care and gravity, they can become a substantial and influential force in any story. However, if repercussions of the past are thrown in only when the writer needs a reason to keep the characters apart a little longer, the past can get a bit too convenient.

I could easily sit here and list example after example under both headings, but that would get boring quickly. I would love to hear from you. What is your favorite arranged marriage/marriage of convenience book? Why did you like it?

Comments

  1. I'm not a huge fan of the arranged marriage trope in general, but I can say that I've read some books that do it really well. (Kendra's books, and also the Wrath and the Dawn, which is AMAZING, just saying.) Maybe sometime I'll try to work it into one of my books. We'll see. If I ever do, I'll definitely keep these suggestions in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be done well and it can be done poorly. It is definitely a trope worth exploring, though. :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post, Rachel! I haven't read too many books about arranged marriage yet, but since my next story involves an arranged engagement I should probably start checking into it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasps* Now I SERIOUSLY need to go snag a copy of Common - I forgot that there was going to be multiple books in that series! And if the next one involves an arranged engagement ... well, I think it will be quite interesting indeed ;). (also, the cover for Common is GORGEOUS)

      ~ Savannah
      Inspiring Writes

      Delete
    2. Laurie, that sounds like a capital idea. :) The trick is to find a good one. :) As with many of my books, I spent more time working through how the characters would react and interact with each other more than reading other books on it. I did read a lot of history about arranged marriages, both good and bad, and tried to analyze why they worked or didn't work. I also observed from some of the marriages around me. Watching and listening to how they spoke of their marriage and watching how the couple had grown over the years helps a lot too.

      Delete
  3. There is so much potential for growth in an arranged marriage. Love is a choice, and even though circumstances get pushed onto us some times, often we find there is good to discover if we're willing to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Savannah! We Americans are so hung up on the idea of free choice that some of us rebel on the point of not being able to choose. However, so few people in history were given a choice. And even with a choice, many of us choose poorly for various reasons.

      I know of two people who dated and almost married when they were young, but in the end they married different people. Both marriages went poorly, one ending in divorce and one in a long miserable relationship until the wife died. Finally, twenty-five years after they married different people, they got back together again and are happily married.

      Even when we get to choose, we don't always choose wisely.

      Delete
  4. So ... I was going to highlight a sentence or two in this comment that I agreed with, and then found myself needing to quote the ENTIRE POST if I did that ;D. Thanks for giving us so much valuable insight, Rachel! I greatly enjoyed this post.

    ~ Savannah
    Inspiring Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Savannah! That is the most wonderful compliment. :) I am glad I blessed you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Find this post helpful? Leave a comment and let me know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing: The Arista Challenge

Accurate Dialogue with Kelsey Bryant

Handling the Physical with Tammy Lash