Indie e-Con 2018 Game - Bring Your Own Book

So, I had a thought that I would scramble the titles of several of our Indie e-Con books and have you unscramble them ... but then decided that, with the sheer number of posts that I have to set up today, I really don't have time to do that. Instead, I'm going to introduce all of you to my newest favorite game: Bring Your Own Book, which I was introduced to last November by Sarah Holman.

The game IS best played with everyone sitting in a circle in the same room, but I'm nothing if not the queen of modifying the rules of games. Here's how it's going to work: I've selected prompts, which are listed below but,

BEFORE YOU LOOK AT THE PROMPTS, GO GET AN INDIE BOOK.

Yes, I do require that the book be indie-published. I would prefer it to be a book from one of our e-Con authors, but since it's best if you use a physical book, I'm just going to specify "Indie author" so that you have leeway. If you have a book by an e-Con author, please use it, though. Please note that once you've selected a book, you're not allowed to change it. So pick carefully!

Now that you have your book, you may read the prompts below. What you're going to is find a quote from the book to match each prompt, but "match" is up to your interpretation. (I personally prefer quotes pulled wildly out of context...). However, unlike previous games, you're not going to email me your answers, but put them in the comments. There's no "right" answers after all, and I want everyone to enjoy the hilarity. Make sure that you let me know what book you're using, though.

Points will be awarded to my favorite quote for each prompt. I can't wait to hear what you guys come up with.

(And, yes, these are all prompts that I have selected at semi-random from the actual game)

Winning quotes are now added below. Please see the comments section for which books they were taken from.

1. A phrase that could inspire revolt.
"Speaking of bad news, you owe me a thousand credits." - Deborah O'Carroll

2. Advice for graduating seniors.
"Prepare for your wallet to be flattened." - Erika Mathews

3. Part of an online product review.
"Because it's dangerous, you idiot! And untested and stupid." - Deborah O'Carroll

4. Spoiler Alert: 
"I'm bulletproof!" - Rebekah Stargazer

5. Something you can't believe you forgot until just now.
"Bathrooms are kind of personal spaces." - Erika Mathews

6. Part of an outdated law.
"Listen to the Squirt. She is wise beyond her years." - Sarah Taleweaver

7. The moment in a romance novel where hearts are broken.
"As he turned away, rain streaming from his fur, I finally managed to draw in a ragged breath." - Rebekah Stargazer

8. A political slogan
“Is somethin’ wrong?” - Erika Mathews

9. A line from a creation myth.
"A second sun was growing behind Levi. It brightened until the atmosphere crackled" - Deborah O'Carroll

10. A line from an athlete's biography.
"I'm frustrated with everything and all I want to do is hit something. Hard." - Sarah Taleweaver

Also note that you have until 6PM CST on Sunday to enter all of the giveaways, because that's when I'll sit down to calculate everything.

Cheers to awesomeness!

Comments

  1. I'm using Sentinel by Jamie Foley for this. :)

    1. A phrase that could inspire revolt:
    "Speaking of bad news, you owe me a thousand credits."

    2. Advice for graduating seniors:
    "Yeah, maybe listen to me next time."

    3. Part of an online product review:
    "Because it's dangerous, you idiot! And untested and stupid."

    4. Spoiler Alert: "Looks like the apocalypse started without us."

    5. Something you can't believe you forgot until just now:
    "Cool. So, the world is ending, but who cares, right?"

    6. Part of an outdated law:
    "Why is that forbidden?"

    7. The moment in a romance novel where hearts are broken:
    "Your thought process is a constant barrage of stupidity."
    Darien swung the sword and grinned at the whooshing sound it made. "Your face is a constant barrage of lame."

    8. A political slogan:
    "These three months will be over before you can blink, and you'll be a super-duper superhero for people to post totally fake videos of."

    9. A line from a creation myth:
    "A second sun was growing behind Levi. It brightened until the atmosphere crackled"

    10. A line from an athlete's biography:
    "I could got to jail for a decade."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (10: "I could go to" not "got". I typed too fast. XD *cough*)

      Delete
  2. Rebekah StargazerMay 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM

    From The Beast of Talesend by Kyle Robert Shultz

    1. A phrase that could inspire revolt.
    "Are you SURE we've arrived?"

    2. Advice for graduating seniors.
    "Don't look down."

    3. Part of an online product review.
    "Look, it's labeled."

    4. Spoiler Alert: "I'm bulletproof!"

    5. Something you can't believe you forgot until just now.
    "Bulletproof monster!"

    6. Part of an outdated law.
    "Obviously, that didn't work."

    7. The moment in a romance novel where hearts are broken.
    "As he turned away, rain streaming from his fur, I finally managed to draw in a ragged breath."
    (Think Beauty and the Beast. I think Beauty's been abandoned in the rain. :( )

    8. A political slogan
    "Do you actually believe that?"

    10. A line from an athlete's biography.
    "I didn't pay any more attention to them--I think the woman may have fainted."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm using Twinepathy by C.B. Cook.

    1. A phrase that could inspire revolt.
    "I am your sister! Your twin! You should not keep secrets from me, no matter what!"

    2. Advice for graduating seniors.
    "Don't be an idiot!"
    "Sliding down drainpipes is absolutely stupid. Don't do it."

    3. Part of an online product review.
    "I mean, hello, bacon and cookies!"
    "Foggy, distant, hurried. British. Yup, I'm in love."

    4. Spoiler Alert: _________________
    "That would ruin the suspense."

    5. Something you can't believe you forgot until just now.
    "Lila!"

    6. Part of an outdated law.
    "Listen to the Squirt. She is wise beyond her years."

    7. The moment in a romance novel where hearts are broken.
    "He was putting on a flannel shirt. Flannel."

    8. A political slogan
    "We're already sort of hiding an amnesiac, underage kid. We don't need to add assault to our list of possible crimes."

    9. A line from a creation myth.
    "It's a momentous occasion that I'll look back on with fondness and longing."

    10. A line from an athlete's biography.
    "I'm frustrated with everything and all I want to do is hit something. Hard."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to grab a book before leaving home for the day, but good news is I got England Adventure by Kesley Bryant back from my sister. So here goes, with that excellent tale:

    1. A phrase that could inspire revolt.
    “I told them it was all the same rubbish that’s anywhere in America.”

    2. Advice for graduating seniors. Prepare for your wallet to be flattened.

    3. Part of an online product review. “If something of importance were missing, you’d have no idea what it was, anyway.”

    4. Spoiler Alert: _________________ She was asking the fatal question about our luggage.

    5. Something you can't believe you forgot until just now. Bathrooms are kind of personal spaces.

    6. Part of an outdated law. Sing the lyrics, too, and hold your nose.

    7. The moment in a romance novel where hearts are broken. “Who in their right mind would wear something so red?”

    8. A political slogan. “Is somethin’ wrong?”

    9. A line from a creation myth. This is almost as good as an art museum.

    10. A line from an athlete's biography. And then it was on to the Fashion Museum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Find this post helpful? Leave a comment and let me know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing: The Arista Challenge

Accurate Dialogue with Kelsey Bryant

Handling the Physical with Tammy Lash